By now you have noticed the name of my blog, it is what I often sign my letters off with and it is an action I try to live by – “serving those who serve”. I don’t always get it right, in fact often I have to adjust my attitude or actions to remind myself of it. I get the awesome joy of serving/leading a great team here at Word of Life, and everyday I have the opportunity to serve them, or when I don’t get it right make it seem like they are serving me… (that is another blog post sometime). Over the years I have been the recipient of servant leadership, seen servant leadership exampled and personally I have been given the opportunity to learn and grow in this area myself and I am continually reminded how much more I need to grow. Over the next couple of months I plan to share some of the lessons learned and practical ways to apply them concerning serving others.
First up, Prayer! 1 Thessalonians 5:17 says “pray without ceasing,” Yes, you can serve your team, in fact you are missing out if you are not, by praying for and with your team. We are reminded to be praying all the time, without ceasing. I am learning everyday the importance of praying for and with my team. Praying for and together builds our relationship with Jesus closer which in return grows our personal and professional relationship closer together. The more we grow together in Christ through prayer, the closer we are! Charles Finney says it best, “Nothing tends more to cement the hearts of Christians than praying together. Never do they love one another so well as when they witness the outpouring of each other’s hearts in prayer.” For those reading this that do not work in a place that you can pray together, or maybe your co-worker is not a Jesus follower and will not pray. I assure you, if you will take time often and daily to pray for your co-worker you will find that Jesus will give you a deeper love and appreciate for that person!
With that in mind, here are some practical ways we can pray without ceasing for our team/co-workers.
- Daily Prayer Time – Start a prayer journal with prayer requests that are personal and professional. I use the Word of Life Daily Quiet Time to keep track of prayer requests.
- Meetings – Always start every meeting by praying with and for them.
- Email – Pray through the names of people that have emailed you, for some they will get prayed for often:)
- Hallway – How many times do we talk or pass someone in the hallway – when walking we can take time to pray for them… no you don’t have to close your eyes to pray – in fact I advise keeping them open when trying this practical way.
- Driving – Instead of listen to music, or news radio or talking on the phone while driving to and from work – use that time to pray for your team and the interactions you will have together. Once again – for the safety of all – keep your eyes open:) HAHA
- Come in early or stay late and pray for those you work with. Pray through the phone list, or even office spaces for those you serve with.
- Phone Calls/Text Messages – Pray before you answer the phone or read the text, that you will respond in a God honoring way.
What are some practical ways you are serving your team/co-workers by praying for them?